Monday 4 January 2010

The End of an Era (part 2)

For all it's highs and lows, I think it's fair to say, we all shared the experience over the weekend, in witnessing the end of a significant era for Doctor Who.


Throughout the 90s, I was one of the many fans who always remained optimistic, that one day, our beloved show would return. That of course, came with fears, that it could all go wrong too, especially following the disappointment of the TV movie. But I remember that first real glimmer of hope, when it was rumoured that Alan Yentob wanted to bring the show back, and I remember seeing some proposed GCI images in a magazine. Then, in 2001, at the "Resurrection" convention, somebody called Dan Freedman talked passionately about his ideas for how the show could be revitalised, and I was convinced he was the man for the job - but then all things went quiet.


In 2002, I launched my own website dedicated to the show, attended more conventions, and it really felt like things were moving again - not sure how, there was just a good feeling about things. Of course, we had to wait another couple of years - nicely timed with the show's 40th anniversary to hear the long-awaited (and hard to believe) news that a new series had been commissioned.


I remember the day I heard the news of Christopher Eccleston's casting - which was quite an unexpected choice, and the day the new Dalek pictures were leaked.. And finally, in the run-up to the show's broadcast, seeing huge, great billboard posters everywhere. Doctor Who was coming back.


For me, that first series remains the best, and most true to the show's heart (Slitheen and Love & Monsters aside!), and I loved the excitement and scale of everything in the show, and, as a Dalek obsessive, their return was a triumphant moment for me. And Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways was the most exciting and thrilling finalé to the series, with - and a regeneration scene, that genuinely touched me. I remember choking back the tears as he changed, not only realising that I'd grown to love the new Doctor, but that particular moment cemented the fact the show was back for good.


Although I like David Tennant as an actor and person, I was never truly blown away by his interpretation of the Doctor. However, there is no denying that the show's huge increase in popularity - worldwide - was largely down to the leading man. It has also been so wonderful to see endless rows of toys and merchandise back on the shelves, and I have even seen young children running around with arms outstretched, playing "Daleks" - and that was, as a lifelong Who fan, a genuinely special moment!


Overall, I found Russel T Davies to be more of an ideas man than a writer - I'll be the first to admit, I've strongly disliked most of his stories, but I remain in his debt for successfully reprising the show, and keeping its integrity in tact. He was clearly the right man, at the right time. However, when I look back at some of my favourite stories over the past five years, they were either directed by the ever-wonderful Graeme Harper (we salute you!), or were written by a certain Mr Moffat. So the day when the news came that he would be taking over as showrunner, I felt that its future was in very safe hands.


So over the weekend, this first "phase" of the revitalised show came to an end, with the departure of RTD, Julie Gardner and of course, David Tennant. With a regenerating Doctor hurtling towards Earth in a burning TARDIS, it's clear (especially from the new series trailer), that - just like the transition from Troughton to Pertwee, or Baker to Davison - the show is once again entering a brand new and exciting era, with a new team, new stories, new aliens and most importantly, a new Doctor (and hopefully a lot of other new things along the way)!


Whatever our taste or preference, good points, and bad, we can all say we've been on the same journey. For many fans, 'our' show returned, and at the same time, it has engaged brand new generations of fans, most of who I hope, not only enjoy the new series, but are in the lucky position where they still have the whole legacy of the original series to discover and relish.

No comments:

Post a Comment